Proper maintenance will prevent the accumulation of dirt, easy cleaning and increasing the life expectancy of our device. Depending on our type of camera, care will be more or less common. An SLR will need continuous cleaning due to possible particles that can enter during the change of goals, so we will be aware of the dirt of the lens and its sensor. It is a compact SUV, only need to take care the objective.
The most common spots are dust and grease from fingerprints and are to be discussed in the following steps. In cases of very stubborn stains, but can not guarantee to fix the mess, follow the golden rule: never use water or soaps or detergents. Detergents are impregnated in the lens and the water takes too long to dry, creating very harmful moisture. Alcohol is best friends with these spots, always applied to a soft cloth.
The cleaning material is particularly important in cleaning optical and electronic units. As mentioned in the previous step, not worth all the cleaners, or all materials. For example, the relieved toilet paper, napkins and paper handkerchiefs are not suitable for these purposes, since, although our touch does not notice it, they produce micro lesions in the objectives. Replace it with a small microfiber cloth, accompanying similar to sunglasses.
The brush will be the best ally in removing dust particles, and therefore must be very soft and natural fiber. We have to be very careful touch fibers with our fingers, since we stain them fat, losing all its effectiveness. The blower is a pear-shaped contraption that blows air when pressed, and may be accompanied by a brush. By blowing us expel saliva particles do no good to clean our camera, and so these pears is used to reach small corners like the card slots, connectors, etc..
The liquid solvent is the third pillar of lens cleaning. Alcohol is the most used, but make sure you is special lens cleaning as more aggressive alcohol can damage the anti-reflective film some goals. Special camera wipes are another good option.
Cleaning Method of objectives
The goal is very similar to the surface of the human eye, it is not a compact glass, if not consisting of a lens consists of several superimposed layers and films, some of them only a few microns thick. We have already mentioned that the paper is forbidden to use, as well as the tail of the shirt or sweatshirt, at least if we estimated our device.
We will proceed first to remove the powder with brush, helping a blower type pear if the place is inaccessible or the particles are much attached. Once done, add a few drops of denatured or similar to a small microfiber cloth alcohol, and will rub gently in circles from the middle to outside. It is important that the alcohol or solvent never added directly to the lens. The corners can go over again with the brush, as this is where the particles tend to accumulate. If necessary repeat the operation as many times as necessary, but always in a gentle way.
Cleaning the sensor
The sensor of an SLR camera is one of the most delicate parts susceptible cleaning. Although the sensor itself is never clean, dust accumulates on a small crystal that covers, and that is extremely delicate. This operation therefore is so delicate that many people left in the hands of professionals, especially in worth thousand computers.
In this step, do not try to describe the cleaning method, which involves a not exaggerated, but certainly real, risk especially those less experienced users. Only the red lines will point why we should not go at any time if we dare with this task:
- The material used must be of high quality. An extra soft brush, to prevent any friction with the Crystal – this crystal are usually a very delicate Bill, and grinding through laser, so care has to be maximum.
- The room must be clean with minimal dust particles in suspension, and the desk must be clear to have freedom of action, but we can not hinder us.
- Use the option of cleaning your DSLR before entering the sensor, and verifies that the battery has sufficient charge, since it is necessary that the curtains are open enough to effect the cleaning time.
- Let dry cleaning fluid, without extending too much for the glass that protects the sensor. It is best done repeatedly smoothly.
Finally, a few tips to keep in mind for the care of your camera:
- Buying and wearing your team with a cleaning kit, preferably not “made in china”. It would be paradoxical save five or six euros on a product that can protect a team of several hundred.
- Use filters. Light correcting defects in various conditions, and in addition, protects the target spots, scratches and breakage. The air filter is considerably cheaper than the replacement of a target.
- If you want professional results, antistatic brushes are very effective, without the drawbacks of traditional materials. Grease and dirt are dissolved in a single pass, avoiding the speckles from sticking to the lens by static electricity.
- Do not assume that a compact camera does not need this care, keep in mind that in a scratch you can always change lenses in a DSLR, but that scratch accompany a compact to the end of its useful life.
- Finally, keep your equipment in your carry case fully closed, use the filter covers, change lenses as quickly as possible if you are in a windy situation, and avoid letting the cameras within the reach of children.